The biggest public festival in Northern
The historical origin of the Hamburg Dom dates back to the 11th century. Merchants and craftsmen, but also jugglers and quack seekers sought in the former Hamburg Mariendom protection from wind and weather. This disliked the canons and he gave a house ban in 1334 .
The house ban took him the dealers, craftsmen, jugglers, quack and even the church goers bad, so that the canon the house ban in 1337 reversed and allowed the presence in "Hamburg Schietwetter". So the market remained in the cathedral until the construction was demolished in 1804.
After that, the dealers and showmen moved without fixed location through the districts in Hamburg until 1893 they assigned a new place: the Heiligengeistfeld, where the Hamburg Cathedral can still be found today.
Each year, more than 250 showmen in March and April lure to the Spring Cathedral, in July and August to the Summer Cathedral and in November and December to the Winter Cathedral in Hamburg.
The Hamburg Cathedral is a regularly held on the Heiligengeistfeld in Hamburg folk festival.
Every year, millions of people visit the event, which takes place three times a year as:
Winterdom (Dom market, beginning of November to beginning of December)
Spring Dome (Spring Festival, mid-March to mid-April)
Summer dome (Hummelfest, end of July to end of August)